When a buyer purchases an item from a Pro Seller, they may decide to return the item for a refund. Buyers have up to 30 days from the delivery date to request a refund. The buyer has the option to choose one of the following reasons for a refund:
- Buyer claims the item was not delivered
- Item is damaged
- (Note: If the item was damaged or lost in transit, Pro Sellers are responsible for insurance or claims made directly with the carrier.
- Item is not as described
When a buyer requests a refund through the OfferUp app, Pro Sellers have 2 business days to respond to the buyer before the buyer can file a purchase protection claim with OfferUp. After 30 days from the delivery date, the buyer will not be able to request a refund from the OfferUp app.
Once a refund request is sent, an email will be sent to the email address that is registered in the Pro Seller portal on the account details page. Go to Settings > Account details to view the registered email address. The refund request email will include the buyer’s order, refund request reason, and email address so you can resolve the issue. For more details on how to resolve a refund request, see “How to process a refund request” below.
How to process a refund request:
Buyer requests a refund:
- Reply to the buyer’s request via the email you received to attempt resolution.
- If a return is required, provide return instructions to the buyer via email, such as prepaid shipping labels and any return forms needed. Note: Pro Sellers can work with the buyer to refund up to 90 days after the delivery date.
How to issue a refund:
- If you’re a Pro Seller using ChannelAdvisor, please mark the order as refunded in your OfferUp channel. For more information on cancellations and refunds in ChannelAdvisor, click here.
How purchase protection claims work
- If you do not respond to a refund request, or the issue remains unresolved after 2 business days, the buyer may submit a purchase protection claim directly to OfferUp through the OfferUp Pro Purchase Protection program.
- OfferUp will notify you via email when a claim is filed against you. OfferUp may request additional information to help determine whether the Pro Seller or the buyer is at fault. Please respond to OfferUp Support within 48 hours or 2 business days. OfferUp will review both parties' information and will notify the Pro Seller and buyer in a timely manner. If OfferUp determines that a refund is appropriate, it will be deducted from your Pro Seller account balance. OfferUp will charge your deposit method if the amount of funds on the Pro Seller balance is not enough to cover the refund transaction. Learn more about Payments.
- If the buyer does not initiate an OfferUp Pro Purchase Protection claim and you respond after 2 business days, you can continue the refund process with the buyer if you both choose.
While OfferUp does not require you to honor refund requests made after 30 days from the delivery date, you may choose to honor refund requests for up to 90 days. After 90 days from the delivery date, you will no longer be able to process refunds through OfferUp.
Failure to comply with these policies may lead to various consequences, including but not limited to; account restrictions, cancellation of orders, removal of listings, or delayed/canceled payments. For more information, please see our Terms of Service.